Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Calling all Soccer Moms

Soccer moms unite!  It's that time of the year again, so get excited, VERY excited.  Wax your Yukon Denali XL, put on your brand new stylish workout outfit, curl your hair, powder your nose, and put on your sunvisor, it's time to register your munchkins for recreational SOCCER! 

Our daughter played soccer last year through SC United/YMCA and had a wonderful experience.  It was also a great experience for me as a parent too.  Our coach was in contact with us through emails and text messages often, and we were ALWAYS contacted if a practice or game was cancelled.  If your child is 4, 5, or 6, you get to choose your primary field, so you don't have to travel across America for the Saturday morning games.  Age 3 plays only at the field at Ballentine Park.  Practice is only once a week, but was organized and actually improved soccer skills.  Both practices and games are very positive in that parents from both teams cheered for everyone, regardless of the team.  Some of our players even switched jerseys and played for our opponent when a team was down a few players.  Overall, our daughter learned what it means to play on a team, and she looked forward to going to soccer.

A warning for parents...DO NOT be THAT parent.  Remember that they are just kids.  I made that mistake at game #1.  I had never had a child in a competative sport, so I went in there with my claws out.  I was on the sidelines yelling, and directing traffic, and basically making a fool of myself.  I hit my low point when my 5 year old daughter ran over to me saying that a little boy from the other team was making fun of her.  I told her to tell him that he couldn't talk because her team was winning.  Yes, I actually said that.  Yes, other parents heard me.  That's when I realized that I needed to SIMMER DOWN.  After that I redeemed myself and enjoyed the games as much as the kids did :)
Follow this link to register:
http://southcarolinaunitedfc.com/
Registration is $75 and includes one pair of socks and two jerseys. 

Happy Soccer Season Soccer Moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment